Both Redmine and Jira have some advantages and disadvantages. Because of that, each of them can cover different company needs. Redmine is an easy to use open-source ticketing system, which is available for free. Jira is more complex out-of-the-box ticketing system, which is available for a monthly fee, if you need to have more than 10 registered users.
- an open-source ticketing system
- availabe for a free of charge
- easy to use and fast
- more suitable for small and medium companies
- an out-of-the-box ticketing system with more features and full agile functionality
- available for a fee when there are more than 10 registered users
- more complex
- more suitable for large companies
If you need a free ticketing system for a support purposes, internal communication, interaction with customers or semi-intensive software development, then Redmine is a better choice.
On the other side, if you need a ticketing system for a large software development or to perform a complex operations, then you should choose Jira.