Lithium Polymer batteries are based on advanced Lithium Ion technology.
Li-Po battery uses a polymer get electrolyte, instead of liquid electrolyte used in Li-Ion batteries.
Lithium Polymer battery advantages over Lithium Ion battery:
- Lower weight - Li-Po batteries are lighter.
- Shape and size - Li-Po batteries can be produced in wider variety of shapes and sizes.
- Charging capacity loss - Li-Po batteries do not lose their charging capacity as much as Li-Ion batteries.
- Lower passive discharge - Li-Po batteries discharge slowly while not being used.
- Safety - Li-Po batteries are generally safer, because of their packaging.
Li-Ion batteries have a higher energy density, when comparing the size. So they can store higher amount of energy. Li-Po batteries usually need to be encased in a bigger cover, what is a disadvantage in case of small sized batteries.