Is better to take photos in RAW or JPEG ? Why to use raw format ?
Is better to take photos in raw or jpeg ? What are the advantages of raw format ?
Both RAW and JPEG image formats have their advantages and disadvantages. RAW format simply offers you more options for photo editing, because it captures more details.
Comparison of RAW and JPEG image format:RAW
- Is lossless, meaning it captures uncompressed data from camera sensor. It means, it can capture more details.
- Photos can have more colors and higher brightness.
- Allows to take 12-bit or 14-bit photos.
- Can record from 4 096 to 16 385 levels of brightness.
- Offers more options for photo editing.
- Allows higher dynamic range.
- File size is usually quite large.
- Often requies some editing to get the good looking photos.
- Is lossy, meaning there is some quality lost during a compression. Photos have less details.
- Offers less color options, because it is standardized as an 8-bit image.
- Can record 256 levels of brightness.
- File size is smaller because of compression.
- Allows lower dynamic range.
- Often doesn't need any additional editing.
Taking RAW photos is better when you need to capture many details. To get a good looking RAW photo, there will be editing needed.
JPEG is a lossy format, so taken photos have less quality in comparison to RAW format, but the overall quality is usually quite good and these photos often don't need any after-edit.